Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Are Society's Expectations Changing?

Are students and parents being cheated out of the full experience of preparing for college and what lies in their futures? Are teachers too nice, lenient, or even "babyish" to their students? Now, I may be coming from a perspective where following the rules, being responsible, and having pride in taking care of yourself is underrated, but in our society today I just do not see enough students taking these initiatives.

When students walk in to their class, they should be there to learn, not socialize. Save it for lunch. You not only are wasting your time, but you hinder the ability of the students around you to maximize their potential. The other aspect that some students bring to the table is mind blowing. The amount of times students have gone to class knowing they have a Scantron (fill in the bubble) test without a pencil is obnoxiously frequent. If the teacher implemented a classroom rule where no one was allowed to borrow pencils, (causing the student to fail their assessment) I am sure that the students would not forget their utensil next time.

Basically, what I am trying to get out of this blog is for students to get a reality check that they need to be more responsible. If you want to go out in the world and do big things, you have to be held accountable for your actions. You can not show up to work the day of the biggest meeting in your life and say, "I left my charts at home, can I borrow yours." Actions like these will not cut it in the business world.

So, as I leave you, ponder this: "Am I doing all I can to be accountable for what I do and say to prepare myself to be successful".

No comments:

Post a Comment